Surgery After Weight Loss
Losing a significant amount of weight is a great accomplishment – one that should leave you feeling proud and satisfied. While you may be excited about starting this new chapter in your life, something else might still be weighing you down: excess skin. After significant weight loss, Salt Lake City women and men often end up with skin that is loose and bulky that detracts from their impressive achievements.
That’s where 22 Plastic Surgery comes in.
22 Plastic Surgery has extensive training in body contouring after weight loss. At our Midvale practice, we look forward to helping you achieve the look you envision. If you would like to find out more about body contouring and how it can improve your life, you can request a consultation online or call our office at (801) 937-9650. Our staff are eager to meet you and help you on your aesthetic journey.
Post Weight Loss Surgery Candidates
If you are considering post weight loss plastic surgery, it is important that you learn if you are a good candidate. While only a personal consultation with a surgeon can tell you whether or not you can benefit from the surgery, in general, post weight loss surgery patients have:
- Excess skin that hangs and is loose
- The desire for a toned, taut look
- Difficulty finding properly fitting clothing
- Feelings of dissatisfaction regarding their physique
- A desire to fully enjoy the results of their weight loss
Remember, the best way to find out whether you are a candidate is to request a consultation online to meet with one of our surgeons in person. That said, if you do feel that you are a candidate, we would love to sit down with you to discuss your surgical plan. Together, we will craft a treatment plan tailored just for your body and lifestyle.
The 22 Plastic Surgery Difference
Long before we perform your procedure, we will meet with you to create your specific procedure plan. During this time, you will discuss which aspects of your body you would like to contour, and we will decide which areas can see the most improvement with surgery.
Once you and your surgeon have agreed on the treatment, we will begin your surgery. For our post weight loss surgery patients, we generally perform the following procedures, either combined or staged, to achieve your aesthetic needs:
- Upper/Lower Body Lift – This addresses either the upper or lower body, including pivotal areas such as the midsection, chest, arms, or lower abdomen, hips, thighs and flanks.
- Thigh Lift – A thigh lift addresses the thighs and top of the legs by tightening lax skin and providing a smooth and contoured appearance.
- Brachioplasty – Brachioplasty, also known as an arm lift, is designed to contour the upper portion of the arms. Reducing excess skin and fat in this area can help achieve an overall slimmer appearance.
- Mastopexy – Known more commonly as a breast lift, this addresses breasts that have lost volume or have begun to sag. We may also combine this procedure with a breast augmentation for optimal breast reshaping with implants.
- Buttocks Lift – Oftentimes, after weight loss, the back and buttocks will lose volume. To re-contour them, we can tighten excess skin and lift the tissue in this area.
No matter which procedure you choose, we will begin by carefully creating the incisions and excising excess skin and tissue in the targeted area(s). Next, we will tighten any muscles that need it and reposition the tissue for a more pleasing appearance. Once this is complete, we will close your incisions and you can begin your recovery.
What to Expect Afterward
After your post bariatric surgery, you will likely experience some pain and soreness. This is normal and will continue to subside throughout the recovery process. While experiences vary, most patients need about 1 week before they feel that they can return to light activities, depending on which procedures are performed. We will go through the recovery process with you during the appointments leading up to your post-bariatric surgery.